Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Are You Ready for the Big One?


Since my last post regarding Twitter and it's ability to remain disaster proof through Hurricanes I have attempted to become more active in "tweeting." Granted, I still have yet to "tweet" anything, I remembered my password, which for me, is a great start. 

I noticed this morning that several of my friends "retweeted" posts from a website called Quake Prediction. They are stating that within the next few days an 6.0 to 7.0 earthquake will his the Southern Los Angeles Area. They claim that the main earthquake should hit September 30th, with foreshocks beginning as early as today. 

I, however remain the biggest skeptic among all of this. I feel that earthquakes, are just like the weather. You can "try" to predict them but ultimately it is never what you expect. But I feel that this would be a perfect opportunity  to prepare you, our readers with an opportunity to build your own earthquake survival kit. I mean, the Big One may not be on it's way this week, but this is California and we should always be prepared. 

The American Red Cross can help you be prepared and build a kit, but here a few recommended items that should help you get started. Remember, it is your kit, so feel free to add in whatever you think may be necessary in times of a disaster. Such as your DVD copy of 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, and Independence Day for references.

Here's What You'll Need To Get Started:


  • Backpack

  • Battery Powered Flashlight (batteries included)

  • Battery Powered Radio (batteries included)

  • Emergency Blanket

  • Food Bars 

  • Work Gloves (one pair)

  • Light Sticks (3 each; one lasts 12 hours)

  • Moist Towelettes (6)

  • Breathing Mask 

  • Plastic Sheeting (10'x10')

  • Rain Poncho

  • Personal First Aid Kit

  • Roll of Duct Tape

  • Water (2 quarts)

  • Water Container (2.5 gallon)

  • Whistle

  • Personal Hygiene Comfort Kit (includes shampoo/body wash, wash cloth, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, and deodorant)

  • First Aid and Emergency Preparedness Guide


  • If you have any questions on how to get started building your own kit you can contact your local Red Cross Chapter at (559) 455-1000 for more information. 

    Well, that's all for today, until then the American Red Cross will continue to blog and "tweet" until the Big One strikes. Even then...We'll Be There.