Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Hanukkah from the Muppets!

Yes, it’s time to break out the old menorah to start celebrating the Festival of Lights with the family.  However, before you get too many candles lit this season, the Red Cross and a few Muppets would like to share some tips to prevent your holiday from going up in flames.
  • Remember that lit candles are fire. Keep them at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, such as curtains, bedding, mattresses, paper, books, flammable decorations, clothing, and upholstered furniture.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed. Do not leave a room before blowing out all candles.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over easily, are made from a material that cannot burn, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
  • Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets and children.
  • During an emergency, always use flashlights and not candles as light sources.
  • Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. And keep all matches and lighters out of reach and out of site of children.
  • Keep all lit candles and other open flames away from any flammable liquids.
  • Smoke alarms save lives. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home and use the test button to check each alarm each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.
Once again, Beaker shares with us the importance of fire safety: