Thursday, January 9, 2014

Prepare-aphernalia: The Adamant

Hello all! I’ve recently returned to California from Indiana where I visited my family for a few weeks. As a lot of you are aware, the Midwest is experiencing record low temperatures this week as well as over a foot of snow! I left just hours before the blizzard of the decade hit my hometown, and needless to say, I’m pretty happy I returned to the Central Valley where it’s dry, sunny, and warm. Of course, I gave my family members a basic Be Red Cross Ready spiel, explaining to them all the measures that should be taken while preparing to be snowed in. 

Fortunately, here in the Central Valley we don’t have to worry about being snowed in. The chances of that happening are slim to none. Instead, we have to worry about other types of emergencies such as floods, fires, and earthquakes. Most of the participants in my Be Red Cross Ready training sessions are worried most about the next big earthquake. So, I switched gears from snow and cold weather conditions to earthquakes, and that’s when I found this: The Adamant. 

It’s for all of you out there who are taking the most extreme measures to prepare for the next big one. The Adamant is an earthquake-resistant bed with an extra strong carbon fiber roof that can be pulled close like the top of a convertible. It has two fluorescent lamps, an emergency beacon, and a storage area for radios and food. The slope of the roof is designed so that falling debris will slide downward.

This bed will allow you to keep those pretty paintings and mirrors above your beds as decoration, because the roof will serve as protection from them falling on your head during an earthquake. 



By the way, Happy 2014 Central Valley! It's good to be back!


Samantha Minks
AmeriCorps NPRC 2013-2014
Preparedness Coordinator
American Red Cross - Kern Chapter
samantha.minks@redcross.org

No comments:

Post a Comment