Friday, September 2, 2011

The Not So Serious Side of Preparedness.



It's National Preparedness Month, so we decided to ask the Central Valley Staff some questions to help you, our wonderful readers, get to know us better. Throughout September, you will get to meet our team and see The Not So Serious Side of Preparedness.


When the "What If" meets the "What Now"
Alex Villa, Regional Preparedness Manager
Katrina Poitras, Emergency Services Program Manager


How long have you been with the Red Cross?
Alex: 1 year and 3 months, with a lifetime commitment.
Katrina: 7 years


What's your most feared natural or man-made disaster?
Alex: I would definitely have to say the zombie apocalypse. That, and tidal waves. I know we live in a desert and over 200 miles away from any body of water but it still scares me. Actually, it's the man-eating sharks that scare me, oh, and the man-eating octopi, anything man-eating really!
KatrinaNatural Disasters I can handle, no problem hands down! It is the man-made ones that scare the pants off me! I go along with Alex and his zombie-phobia.  


What's the strangest or most important thing in your emergency preparedness kit?
Alex: Well I constantly am teaching individuals to have plenty of food and water in their kit, but me personally, I have stocked up on wine (red, of course). Wine is perfect, it contains some (I use that word loosely) water and only gets better with age, so I don't have to worry about those pesky expiration dates. Also, apart from a manual can opener, I obviously have a wine opener which will also come in handy to stab the zombies or sharks should it come to that!
Katrina: Zombies can't climb. So I keep my rock climbing gear in my kit. Why? Well I will have an advantage, since I will be able to swing and rappel my way across the buildings. 


What should individuals do to prepare this September?
Alex: Um...easy! Attend the Prep Rally or one of my Be Red Cross Ready community preparedness trainings! Or even better, request that we hold a special training at your workplace, school, or community center.
Katrina: When purchasing your food for your kit, don't purchase a lot of freeze dried food, it tastes horrible and if you aren't used to it, you won't want to eat it! Buy non-perishables that you enjoy and be sure to stay away from clearance items, those are usually just about to expire!