Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How Well Do You Know Carbon Monoxide?

Since last month was "Fire Safety Month" and the Red Cross provided you with tons of Fire Safety Tips for those of you who follow us on
Twitter, and our fans on Facebook. So I would hope that all of your are Fire savvy and know all that there is to know about Fire and Carbon Monoxide! So, just to challenge you all take the "How Well Do You Know Carbon Monoxide" Challenge!

Carbon monoxide in the home…
a. is a dangerous, odorless, and invisible gas.
b. is a foggy gas.
c. smells like sulfur.
d. is harmless.

Carbon monoxide is produced when…
a. carbon is burned.
b. fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.
c. someone smokes cigarettes inside the home.
d. pets burn off some energy.

Each year, carbon monoxide claims approximately ____ lives?
a. 115
b. 230
c. 350
d. 480

Which of the following is NOT a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning?
a. shortness of breathe
b. light headedness, dizziness, or headaches
c. excess energy
d. nausea

Answers: 1: a; 2: b; 3: d; 4: c

How can you protect your family from carbon monoxide?
Install a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in the hallway of your home near sleeping areas. Also, know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning, get to fresh air immediately, and then call 9-1-1. Treat any alarm signal as a real emergency each time. If the alarm sounds and you are not experiencing any symptoms described above, press the reset button. If the alarm continues to sound, call the fire department.

How'd you do? Don't worry, if you didn't score too well, we can help! We’re working to stop fires before they start in our community! For more information or fire tips, visit the American Red Cross Central Valley Chapter.