Friday, July 15, 2011

Dr. Mayank Sharma - Serving From Across The World.


Life is a beautiful gift bestowed upon us. Most of the people realize its true value and purpose too late. It’s not just about having a big house or a bigger bank balance, nor is it just about having the fanciest car or visiting new places. Life is about visiting and touching hearts. It’s about extending a helping hand to the people who are in need and working towards making a difference in their lives. I always wanted to do that and through the Red Cross I found a medium to play my part.

I am Dr. Mayank Sharma. A Dentist from India and a member of the Indian Red Cross Society (Haryana division). I have been a member of a team providing health and community care to the people in a few villages around our area. Though still very new to the Red Cross, I have realized that I am going to be a part of it for the rest of my life and I will make a contribution in whatever way possible.

I came to Fresno, CA in April for business. The most wonderful thing about Red Cross is that you get the opportunity to provide a helping hand to the people throughout the world and that’s why I contacted the Central Valley Chapter to offer my services. I worked with the Disaster Action Team here and I quote,”These are some of the best people I have ever worked with.”

They are coordinated, efficient and dedicated towards their cause. I would specially like to mention the Emergency Services Program Manager - Katrina Poitras. She is a compassionate and an extremely helpful woman who just LOVES her job!!! I tried to make use of the little time I had with the team and it has been an outstanding experience for me to volunteer here.

The Holy Bible states- "If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother."

What a wonderful place this world would be if each and every one of us would start following this teaching.

Mayank served in our Disaster Services Department since April 2011 and will be returning to India next week. His time and dedication are truly an inspiration to us all.