Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Team Firestopper; The Taft Edition

Last Saturday October 19th, Team Firestopper was at it yet again canvassing the community and passing out fire safety information. This time in the Taft community, Team Firestopper was given the amazing opportunity to partner with Occidental of Elk Hills, Inc.
I am passionate about the Team Firestopper initiative, and have grown fond of community canvassing. That being said, I can’t begin to explain how great it was to work with the high school students of the Taft Oil Academy. These student volunteers were phenomenal. I enjoyed getting to know them as we walked through the neighborhoods of Taft, sharing our backgrounds and talking about everything under the sun. The students in my group were so bubbly, and they brought smiles to the faces of each of the residents they spoke to about Team Firestopper. My group ended up passing out 199 Team Firestopper canvassing bags! After lunch when canvassing was over, my group members thanked me and expressed their liking toward the Team Firestopper program. I was so happy that they enjoyed their first volunteer experience!


On behalf of the American Red Cross and the Team Firestopper Program, I want to give a big THANK YOU to all of the volunteers from Occidental of Elk Hills, Inc. and to the high school students of the Taft Oil Academy. Team Firestopper couldn't have done it without your support!


Samantha Minks
Preparedness Coordinator
AmeriCorps NPRC Member 2013-2014
American Red Cross - Kern Chapter
samantha.minks@redcross.org


No comments:

Post a Comment