I was recently reading an article in a magazine about things you could do if you had 5 minutes to spare. Included in the list were: brush and floss your teeth, write a thank you note, and call a loved one. The list included simple things to do but important tasks that sometimes get overlooked. What would you do with a 5 minute break?
I decided to create my own list of preparedness items you can do if you have an extra 5 minutes in your day, and yes, you can add creating this blog post to that list, because I did this in under five minutes!
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarm
- Make sure items in your food storage are not expired
- Make a list of emergency contact information for you and your family members
- Assemble a small emergency pack with items around your house like a flashlight, water, etc.
- Read up on Red Cross earthquake safety information
- Fill up your gas tank
- Make a fire escape plan and discuss it with your kids and family
- Put fresh batteries in a flashlight and put it next to your bed
- Sign up for a CPR class
- Order a first aid kit online
Program Manager, Health & Safety Services