Thursday, August 11, 2011

Could A Flat Tire Be Considered A Natural Disaster?



It's no secret to anyone that I am not what you would call "mechanically savvy." I don't even pretend to know anything about cars, besides the fact that you turn the key, it turns on, and it goes! So when I experienced my first flat tire ever over the weekend, I figured it's time I learn the basics, and learn to change a tire.


Of course, this epic disaster occurred at night and left me stranded on the side of the road, forcing me to realize how unprepared I am. While I had all of the tools that I needed to change my tire, I had no light to see what I was doing. I couldn't call my AAA Roadside Assistance because I had exhausted all of those calls with all of my dead batteries and locked keys in the car. So to avoid hitchhiking, or becoming a star in my own horror movie, I decided to just leave my car on the side of the road, and reevaluate the situation in the morning. 


Now, had I purchased the almighty "Red Cross Road Torq" by Eton. I would have been able to change my tire and be on my merry way. So for all of those out there reading this blog post, heed my warning and buy your Torq today. 




When I returned to my car the next day, I pulled out all of the items to begin changing my tire, when it hit me. I have no idea how to do this! So a quick call to my mother (yes, even my mother knows how to change a tire) lead me directly to my owner's manual. This would have been beneficial if it had pictures, but it was a lot of text, so instead I downloaded an app on my iPhone that showed videos, pictures, and gave me verbal instructions. It truly was my lifesaver.


So why am I sharing all of these embarrassing facts about myself? Because whether or not you are taking a last summer road trip, sending a child off to college, or just mechanically challenged it is important to know how to change a tire, and Be Prepared for whatever life throws your way.